Hello from Our Hometown
Learn what makes our city and, in turn, our company so very special.
When it comes to our very own Quincy, we’re bursting with hometown pride. We think our little city, nestled along the Mississippi River in western Illinois, is just about the best place to live and work. In fact, we think Quincy helps make Melrose, well, Melrose.
Known as the “Gem City,” Quincy was once Illinois’ third-largest city, serving as a thriving transportation center for riverboats and rail. Today, Quincy remains a prominent river city with 40,000-some residents calling Quincy home. It has been twice recognized as an All-American City, and in the fall of 2010, Forbes magazine listed Quincy as the eighth “Best Small City to Raise a Family.”
The people here embrace traditional Midwestern values. They value family and hard work and doing the right thing. They are friendly, neighborly and truly care about other people. All of those wonderful, unique characteristics are shared by our employees. Many have been with us 10 to 20 years, with a handful being with us from the beginning. And it truly is them, and their hard work and commitment, that enable us to deliver on our promise of exceptional customer service.
Want to see for yourself? Well come on down to Quincy! Our Quincy showroom is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. And while you’re here, be sure to stay awhile and experience a few of our favorite things about our hometown:
(1) Quincy Museum—Appreciation for our hometown begins at the Quincy Museum. Housed in the Newcomb-Stillwell Mansion, completed in 1891, the first floor has been restored to the style of the 1890s. The second floor features changing exhibits, a local history room, a new acquisitions gallery and a gift shop. The third floor is a wonderful place for children with its rotating exhibits on dinosaurs, Mississippi wildlife and Native Americans.
(2) Prairie Junction Gardens—Maybe it’s because of our roots as a producer of dried floral, but we just love this garden experience. See more than 800 varieties of daylilies and more than 400 varieties of irises along with other perennials. The peak iris bloom is near Mother’s Day and the peak bloom for the daylilies is near July Fourth.
(3) Villa Kathrine—A Quincy standout, the Villa Kathrine is a unique example of Mediterranean architecture. Built as a residence in 1900 on a bluff with a breath-taking view of the Mississippi River, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building now houses Quincy’s Tourist Information Center and the Quincy Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.
(4) Maid Rite—Have lunch at one of our favorite local spots, Quincy’s home of the “maid rite” sandwich. Not to be missed, naturally, are the maid rites (a unique loose-meat, hamburger-type sandwich) but also homemade soups and ice cream concoctions, which are one of a kind. (507 N. 12th St., Quincy, IL)
(5) Kayak Quincy—There really is no better way to see Quincy. Two-hour professionally guided kayak tours of the Quincy Bay on the Mississippi River are hosted throughout the summer season. (800-978-4748 )
(6) Architectural Tour—Quincy is home to some of the best examples of architecture in the Midwest, boasting several historic districts, including the East End Historic District and the German Historic District. A drive through these grand neighborhoods is a must for any first-time visitor.
(7) Lakeview Restaurant & Patio—End your day in Quincy at one of our favorite restaurants, Lakeview Restaurant & Patio. With plenty of gorgeous outdoor seating and a big menu sure to please everyone (we love the spinach & apple salad as much as the tenderloin sandwich), it’s a favorite of locals and newcomers alike. (4403 Broadway St., Quincy, IL)
Now if you can’t make it down to Quincy, don’t worry. We’re sending you a little bit of Quincy in every thing we do. Every item in our catalog is specially selected by our world-class designers because its on-trend, in style and of the quality you’ve come to expect from Melrose. Every mailing, whether it’s a postcard announcing our latest shows or an email outlining our newest promotion, is sent in hopes of helping you and your business be more successful. And every order that we send out is hand packed with care by one of our employees (look for our new packing cards in every box to see just who packed your order).
As always, if you ever need assistance with anything at all, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 800.282.2144. We’d love to hear from you!